JOSHUA F. KITCHENS, CA
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
(2017-Present) Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
Currently enrolled as a Public History Ph.D. candidate
(2011-2014) Clayton State University, Morrow, GA
- Fall 2014, Masters of Archival Studies
(2011, 2017) Certified Archivist
- Became a Certified Archivist
- Re-certified in 2017
(2006-2008) George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- August 2009, MA in Applied History.
(2001-2005) Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, GA
- Graduated Suma Cum Laude in May 2005 with a BA in History.
- Received American Humanics certification in nonprofit management in May 2005.
- Received Leadership certificate in May 2005.
(August 2015-Present) Clayton State University, Morrow, GA
Director, Archival Studies Program and Assistant Professor
- Scheduled, filled and taught courses.
- Planned, revised curriculum and program instructional approaches.
- Performed program assessments on a yearly basis.
- Recruited new students and part-time faculty.
(August 2008-July 2015) Special Collections Georgia College, Milledgeville, GA
Archivist, Associate Professor
- Served as the Archivist for GC Library Special Collections.
- University Archives program manage and responsible for acquiring, arranging and processing University Archives
- Manage and oversee all digital projects and preservation for Special Collections.
- Created and implemented a digitization program for Special Collections utilizing Flickr, USG Podcasting server, and other systems to share photographic materials.
- Institutional Repository Manager for Russell Library. Oversaw day to day operations, wrote/implemented policy, and collaborated with other departments across campus and the library in the management of the repository run on the Digital Commons platform.
- Responsible for overseeing undergraduate and graduate student workers.
- Provided reference and instruction services for Special Collections.
- Oversaw collection management for the department through Archivist Toolkit.
- Collected and analyzed reference and internet statistics.
(April 2008-July 2008) National Parks Services, Washington, DC
- Worked with the Heritage Education Services to coordinator online lesson plans for Teaching Historic Places and trip itineraries for the Discover Our Shared Heritage programs.
(February 2007-August 2008) Stabler-Leadbeater Apocathary Museum Alexandria, Va
- Responsible for overseeing the selection and digitization of records from the Stabler-Leadbeater archival collection for use by the staff of the Stabler-Leadbeater Apocathary Museum and the Local History/Special Collections department of the Kate Waller Barratt Branch of the Alexandria Library.
- Created the guidelines used for scanning and labeling materials selected.
- Created an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of items digitized, their location, and brief descriptions. Also created a spreadsheet to keep track of what sections the collection had been examined.
- Was responsible for checking out and transporting materials stored at the Alexandria Public Library.
(February 2007-August 2008) Gadsby’s Tavern Museum, Alexandria, VA
- Handle front desk operations and museum gift shop sales.
- Conducted tours of Gadsby’s Tavern and the Stabler-Leadbeater Apocathary Museum. Worked and coordinated special events, which included costumed lantern tours and Historic Alexandria Alive.
(August 2006-April 2008) George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- Was responsible for the selection and scanning of items from the Planned Community Archives.
- Utilized Adobe PhotoShop to edit scanned items.
- Utilized OmniPage Pro OCR software to convert scanned images of textual items into searchable .pdf files.
- Kept track of items scanned using Microsoft Excel. This spreadsheet kept track of the original location of material, file names of scanned items, metadata produced for the items, as well as the space occupied by the digital copies.
- Uploaded digital copies George Mason’s online digital archive known as MARS or Mason Archival Repository System. Produced metadata for each item uploaded to MARS.
(May 2005-November 2006) Germanna Foundation, Locust Grove, VA
Office and Archives Manager
- Aided with special event planning which included handling registration and organizing an auction. Much of this was accomplished using Excel documents to keep track of ticket sales and auction items sold.
- In charge of preservation and cataloging for the foundation’s library, archival and museum collections. Access was used to catalog the various collections of the Foundation.
- Created finding aides for the archival collections of the foundation using Word.
- Design exhibits and displays.
- Supervised the Volunteer Coordinator and planned volunteer appreciation and educational programs.
- Handled accounts receivable and payable as well as reconciled bank statements.
- Was in charge of handling internet orders, which consisted of preparing and processing bills, as well as preparing orders for shipment through the USPS.
(January 2006-July 2006) Madison County Historical Society, Madison, VA
Part-Time Grant Funded Employee
- Cataloged the Society’s object and book collection in File Maker Pro software.
- Performed basic preservation on objects in the museum’s collection.
- ARST 5000 Principles and Practices, Clayton State University (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017).
- ARST 5100 Archives and Technology, Clayton State University (Fall 2015, Fall 2018)
- ARST 5110 Archives and the Web, Clayton State University (Spring 2019)
- ARST 5170 Reference, Access, and Outreach, Clayton State University (Spring 2017)
- ARST 5400 Records Management, Clayton State University(Fall 2017)
- ARST 5500 Acquisition and Appraisal, Clayton State University (Spring 2015, Spring 2016).
- ARST 6800 Research Methods, Clayton State University (Spring 2015).
- ARST 6950 Capstone, Clayton State University (Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2018, Spring 2019)
- GC1Y Seven Revolutions II, Georgia College (Fall 2012)
- Taught fourth-hour component of course focusing on information literacy.
- HIST 5030 Archival Theory and Practice, Georgia College (Spring 2010).
- Western Archives Institute, Principle Faculty Member (June 2019)
- Archives 101 (Co-Presenter), Society of Georgia Archivist. (August 2017)
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Electronic Records: Intro and Basics”. RIM 101 Atlanta Area ARMA, April 2017.
- Archival Preservation (Taught Sessions in Digital Preservation and planned the workshop), Valdosta State/Belize National Archives/Georgia Archive (November 2016).
- Law and Archives, Society of Georgia Archives. (July 2016).
- Training Class in basic Archival Theory and Practice (Taught sections on Digitization and Digital Archives), Valdosta State/Belize (Summer 2015).
- Photo Sharing Workshop for the LITC on (March 17, 2011).
- Led Genealogy Workshop cosponsored by the Nancy Hart Chapter of the DAR (January 22, 2011)
- Digital Preservation Workshop (October 15, 2010).
- Led Three Workshops on Evernote and Zotero (Summer 2010).
- Evernote Workshop for GCSU Staff Council (Spring 2010).
- Led Workshop for the LITC and Staff Council on Evernote. (Fall 209)
- Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2013 – New York Times Times Talk.
- Led a Personal Preservation workshop for national library week. (April 2009).
BOOK REVIEWS AND EDITORIAL WORK
- Spring 2013 – Edited and Layout Work, China Rising: China in the 21st Century through the Perspective of the Seven Revolutions by Students of GC2Y Seven Revolutions, Spring 2013
- Fall 2012 – Review of Processing the Past: Contesting Authority in History and The Archives by Francis Blouin Jr. and William Rosenberg in Provenance Vol. XXX.
- Fall 2011 – Review of Critical Library Instruction: Theories and Methods edited by Emily Drabinski, Alana Kumbier, and Maria Accardi in Provenance Vol. XXIX
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Primary Source Instruction: Re-conceptualizing the Teaching the Use Archives and Primary Sources, Paper delivered to Council of Media Organizations Conference, October 2012.
Fall 2018 –
Summer 2018 –
- Teague, Barbara, Daniel Noonan, Smith, Kari R., Weddle, Bonita L. and Kitchens, Joshua. “The State of State Government Electronic Records.” SAA Annual Meeting, July 28, 2017.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Thinking About Appraisal”: Defining Appraisal Frameworks as a Continuum.” SAA Research Forum, July 2017.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Electronic Records: Intro and Basics”. Georgia Records Association Annual Meeting, June 2017.
- Davis, Deborah and Joshua Kitchens. “International Archives Training in Belize”. SGA Annual Meeting, October 22, 2015.
- Lyle, Savannah, and Joshua Kitchens. “Archiving Engagement: Public Memory, Oral History, and Critical Thinking at Georgia College.” COPLAC Annual Meeting, June 26, 2015.
- Simon, Katie, Joshua Kitchens and Tess Lyle. “Archiving Engagement: Public Memory, Oral History, and Critical Thinking at Georgia College”. USG Teaching and Learning Conference: Best Practices for Promoting Engaged Student Learning, April 8, 2015.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “ Tales from the Knowledge Box: Starting an Archive Run IR”, Society of Georgia Archivist Annual Meeting, November 2014.
- Davis Bray, Nancy and Joshua Kitchens, “Tracking 2.0: Thinking about alternative approaches to collecting user stats,” Presentation at Council of Media Organizations Meeting, October 2014.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Normalizing New: Engaged Learning at Georgia College Special Collection”, Presentation at Gil User’s Group Meeting, May 2013.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Improving Archival Intelligence: Examining the impact of instruction practices at Georgia College Special Collections, Poster Presentation delivered at Society of Georgia Archivist Annual Meeting.
- Kitchens, Joshua.“Engaging the Archives: Engaged Learning Pedagogies and Archival Instruction”, presentation at Gil User Groups Meeting, May 2012.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “What’s On Hand: Georgia College Special Collections Use of Technology “, Poster Presentation at Society of Georgia Archivist Annual Meeting.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “Publication Problems: Handling Copyright Conundrums and Pushy Publishers, Presentation at Gill User Groups Meeting May 2011.
- Kitchens, Joshua. “My Book Just Crash: Technology’s Impact on the Act of Reading” Future of the Book Symposium, February 3, 2011.
- Kitchens, Joshua “1953” talk given as a part of the Big Read, October 1, 2009.
- Fitzpatrick, Reese and Kitchens, Joshua. ”Retreats Rock: A Fun Approach to Capacity Building” delivered at 2005 American Humanics Management Institute,” Atlanta, GA, Spring 2005.
- Experience working with DSpace, Omeka, and Digital Commons to provide access to digital archival materials online.
- Experience with preserving, digitizing, and providing access to audiovisual materials.
- Experience writing and managing metadata for digital archival materials.
- Experience working with Archives Space, Archivist Toolkit and Archon.
- Experience working with HTML, PHP, XML, and databases (MySQL).
- Experience managing Linux based servers.
- Experience with the Excel, Access, Word, Photoshop, ABBYY Finereader and OmniPage Pro.
- 2016 COBEC Grant to teach archival focused workshop in Belize.
- 2015 COBEC Grant to teach archival focused workshop in Belize.
- 2014-2015 GCSU Faculty Research Grant
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Chosen as Outstanding Student of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in 2005.
- Selected to be 2005 Outstanding History Major.
- 2004-2005 Stardust Fellow and successfully applied for a five hundred dollar grant that was available through that program.
- Inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa the National Leadership Honors Society in spring 2003. Have served on selection committee from fall 2003-spring 2005.
- Inducted into Phi Alpha Theta spring 2003. Served as president from 2003-2005.
- Participated in the Georgia Education Mentorship program in fall 2003. This program paired me with the Chancellor of the University System of GA who served as a leadership mentor for that semester.
- Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi spring 2003.
- Inducted in Alpha Lambda Delta Freshman Honors Society spring 2002. Served as ALD president 2002-2003.
- Participated in the Emerging Leaders program in fall 2001.
- Awarded Presidential Scholarship 2001.
- August 2017 – Reacting to the Past workshop held at Georgia State University
- July 2017 – Attended SAA Annual Meeting
- August 2016 – Attended SAA Annual Meeting
- November 2012 – Society of Georgia Archivist Conference
- November 2011 – Society of Georgia Archivist Conference
- October 2010 – 2010 Society of Georgia Archivist Conference and Pre-conference Workshop
- May 2010 – “More, Product, Less, Process” Workshop sponsored by Society of American Archivist and Society of Georgia Archivist
- May 2009 – Grant Writing Workshop sponsored by Society of Georgia Archivist
- November 2008 – Society of Georgia Archivist Pre-Conference Workshop entitled Standards and Best Practices for the Description of Photograph, November 12, 2008
CAMPUS COMMITTEES AND ACTIVITIES
- Clayton State Institutional Review Board (2016 – Present)
- Vice Chair (2017 – 2018)
- Chair (2018 – 2019)
- Clayton State University, College of Information and Mathematical Sciences Curriculum Committee (2015 – Present).
- Chair (2015 – 2018)
- Clayton State University, Chair of Records Management Work Group (Summer 2016)
- Clayton State Instructional Technology Council (2015 – 2016)
- GCSU Student Technology Fee Committee (2010 – 2015)
- GCSU University Prioritization Process Academic Programs Committee (2013 – June 2014)
- GCSU Old Governor’s Mansion Director Search Committee (2013)
- GCSU Undergraduate Research Conference Committee (2012 – 2015)
- Coordinated Scheduling of the conference in the campus digital repository.
- GCSU University Senate (2011 – 2013)
- Served on the Student Affairs Policy Committee as Secretary (2011-2012)
- Served on Executive Council of University Senate (2012-2013)
- GCSU Intellectual Property Committee (2008-2010, 2012-2013)
- GCSU Director of Libraries Search Committee (2011 – 2012)
- GCSU Convocation Book Committee (2011 – 2013)
- GCSU LITC Technology Committee (2008-2012)
- Chair (2010-2012)
- GCSU Core Curriculum Committee Summer (2010)
- GCSU Records Retention Committee (2009-2010)
- GCSU Library Professional Development Committee (2008-2009)
- Chair (2008-2009)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP AND SERVICE
- Society of Georgia Archivist
- Local Arrangements Committee (2019 – Present)
- Education Committee (2016 – 2018)
- Listserv Manager (2013 – 2015)
- Newsletter Editor and Assistant Editor (2011-2012)
- Provenance Editorial Board, Society of Georgia Archivist (2014 – Present)
- Academy of Certified Archivist
- Exam Development Committee (2017 – 2019)
- GCPAC Committee (2016 – Present)
- Society of American Archivist
- Electronic Records Section Blog Editorial Group (2017 – Present)
- Friends of Georgia Archives and History Board
- Member (2015 – 2017)
- Vice President (2017 – 2018)
- President (2018 – 2019)
- Volunteer for “Read Like a King” program at MLK Middle School, Atlanta, GA (2017 – 2018).
- Dr. Seuss Day, GCSU Library (2012)
- Served as a reader for Dr. Seuss Day sponsored by the Georgia College Library.
- Central State Hospital Museum (2010-2011)
- Helped organize and run two work days
- Habitat For Humanity Restore (Fall 2010)
- Volunteered for a day in September 2010
- National History Day (2010)
- Volunteered as a Judge.
- Higher Achievement Center at Francis Hammond Middle School in Alexandria, Va. (2006 -2008)